Sunday 11 March 2012

Time for Rimmer to get recognition

While today’s Premier League results (which have somehow conspired to place United at the top of the tree – it is real, I checked the table leaving OT today!) will undoubtedly dominate the column inches in tomorrow’s papers I’d just like to give mention to an event taking place in London this evening.
It’s that time of the year again when The Football League celebrates all that’s good about the game from the second to fourth tiers of English football via their annual awards ceremony.
The League’s power and control of the national game may have diminished since the creation of the Premier League two decades ago but as an organisation its importance should not be underestimated. It still plays a crucial role for 72 professional football clubs, 2000 or so players and hundreds of thousands of football fans up and down the country.
From Fan, to Family club of the Year, tonight’s bash aims to celebrate the very best of that. And while the most eyes will be on the marquee prizes that are dished out to the players of the year my focus will be solely concentrated on the ‘Unsung Hero’ award.
That is because my old Tranmere Rovers youth-team coach Warwick Rimmer is on the three-man shortlist. For those unfamiliar with the name I’ll briefly summarise, why, if he won tonight it would be nothing more than deserved.
Now 70-years-old, Rimmer developed Tranmere’s youth system in the 1980’s. Drawing upon his time as a player at Bolton Wanderers, he established a blueprint for youth development that has made a lasting contribution at Prenton Park.
Not only were players produced that were ready for the first-team but crucially year after year his home-grown youngsters were sold on to bigger clubs, generating much needed transfer income that now totals £15 million pounds.
In short without Rimmer the club may well have become defunct years ago.
I didn’t quite make the grade at Tranmere but I can honestly say that working with Warwick was a real pleasure. He made training fun and always had time for everyone under his care. One of my abiding memories is that we played possession every single day as part of training – Warwick was never for putting players through aimless running sessions – we did plenty of running but through working hard to retain the ball and then pressing and harrowing our opponents when it was lost.
What’s more he recruited genuinely good players, several of my peers have gone on to enjoy good careers in the game and at youth and reserve level the club was able to punch far above its weight and compete with the likes of United, City, Liverpool and Everton.  
That was all down to Warwick and perhaps the best thing I can say about him is that any player that has ever come under his wing holds him in the highest of esteem but don’t just take my word for it. Below is a selection of comments from those I’ve spoken to, on a man that many regard as ‘Mr Tranmere’.
Jason Koumas (Now retired)
“I actually left Liverpool to join Tranmere because of Warwick Rimmer. He took the time to sit me down and tell me how he thought I'd fit in at Tranmere and how he’d work with me to develop me as a player.
“I don’t mind admitting that Warwick was the single biggest influence on me. He helped me on and off the pitch and even when I was a professional playing in the first-team that support never wavered.
“That's what's brilliant about him. You know that no matter what he's in the background willing you on to do well.
Clint Hill (QPR):
“Warwick was tremendous for me when I was coming through at Tranmere Rovers.
“He was always available whenever I needed some advice about the game or on a personal level
“He has been a tremendous servant to the club and there is no doubt in my mind that he has been instrumental in keeping them afloat - with the number of players he has brought through the system and them then being sold on.
“I can only say good things about Warwick and if he was to win this award it would be fully merited.”
John Aldridge:
“When I was made Manager of the club he was one of the first people I turned to for support. To produce so many players to go into a team that was then operating in the Championship is no mean feat.
“He commands respect everywhere he goes.
“If you talk to parents and the players he’s worked with they all think the world of him which is great testimony to the work he’s done - it’s pleasing to see him up for this award.”
Jimmy Armfield:
“Warwick was an excellent pro and my choice as a club captain when I managed Bolton. He was the mainstay of my team leading by example and directing our young players both on and off the pitch.
“He seemed well suited to a pastoral role even back then so it has been no surprise to me that he has enjoyed such success with Tranmere”.
Danny Holmes (Tranmere Rovers):
“He’s someone who always has time for you.
“He’s got cracking stories about his time as a footballer and he’ll just do stuff that you wouldn’t believe – like walking on his hands down the corridor.
“Everyone here thinks of Warwick as a legend.”
Ian Sharps (Shrewsbury Town):
“If you look at what Warwick has done for Tranmere over the years then it’s quite clear that he hasn’t had the sort of recognition that he deserves.
“Maybe it’s because Tranmere is an unfashionable club but whatever the reason you can’t understate the job he has done there.
“When you look at all the player’s to come through it really is a phenomenal record”.
Richard Hinds (Yeovil Town):
“Warwick Rimmer is Mr Tranmere to me because he’s the first person that springs to mind when I think of the club.
“He’s done an unbelievable job there over such a long period of time. To be able to find, nurture and develop players for 25 years shows what a top football man he is.”
So that’s 29 years of service encapsulated in just over one thousand words. Let’s hope that come tomorrow morning just a few of those newspaper column inches are reserved for Warwick Rimmer, a man that truly merits them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment